Compass10 Annual Conference
Compass10 was held on 15 September 2010 in Dublin city centre. Clients and staff presented information on projects and tools development, and discussed a series of topics relevant to information management, analysis and mapping technologies.
- The first session of the day dealt with INSPIRE/SDI issues, including questions on why, how, and to what benefit.
- The following session provided a timely update on new and enhanced data resources – from the Ordnance Survey, the National Biodiversity Data Centre, and work underway in relation to collation and management of heritage data.
- Demonstration and technology sessions covered the use of the comprehensive data management and mapping systems of the National Biodiversity Data Centre, and the excellent image processing and data mangement systems of ERDAS2010 and ERDAS Apollo.
- The final applications session of the day presented a range of topics including bioenergy, rural transport, and green infrastructure. The final technical sessions dealt with Geo Web Services and software, and a look at the OSi new PRIME2 database.
- Our thanks to all who presented and attended this successful event. Presentatons are available lower down this page.
- The Conference also included a number of exhibits from companies and organisations for whom Compass acts as a value added reseller or partner.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL PRESENTATIONS AND CONSTITUENT DATA, IMAGES AND MATERIAL REMAIN THE COPYRIGHT OF THE AUTHORS AND THEIR ORGANISATIONS. IN ORDER TO USE THIS MATERIAL PLEASE CONTACT COMPASS OR THE AUTHOR DIRECTLY.
Getting Our Data In Order
- INSPIRE, SDI, and All That – Where Are We Now? Roger Longhorn, Editor, Geoconnexion.com / Principal SDI Expert, Compass Informatics. Click for PowerPoint.
- Demystifying the INSPIRE Directive – Clear steps towards Compliance. Ali Robinson, Compass Informatics. Click for PowerPoint.
- Practical Benefits of Organised Spatial Data. Ray Scanlon, Information Manager, Geological Survey of Ireland. Click for PowerPoint.
- The Irish Spatial Data Exchange – New tools for spatial data infrastructure and INSPIRE delivery. Eoin O’Grady, Marine Institute.Click for PowerPoint.
New & Revised Data Sources
- What’s Up in OSi? An Update from the National Mapping Agency. Hugh Mangan, OSi. Click for PowerPoint.
- What Value Biodiversity Data? Roles for Our New Data Resource. Liam Lysaght, National Biodiversity Data Centre. Click for PowerPoint. Click for system video for marine species viewer.
- From Diverse Data to a Heritage Assessment Tool – the Coastal Heritage Project. Beatrice Kelly, Heritage Council. Click for PowerPoint.
Value from Our Shared Resources
- Supporting a New Energy: Bioenergy Mapping & Modelling – Mike Wilson, Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland / Seth Girvin, Compass Informatics. Click for PowerPoint.
- Building a Green Infrastructure – Bringing biodiversity, recreation, sustainability into the planning process. William Hynes on behalf of Cathy Maguire, Comhar Sustainable Development Council, and project partners (led by Compass, with KSA, Mary Tubridy, and CSR Landplan). Click for PowerPoint.
- Supporting sustainable rural transport through spatial IT. Vanessa Coffey, Pobal. Click for PowerPoint.
- Using the BiodiversityIreland.ie Mapping System – A look at the mapping and data management system of the National Biodiversity Data Centre (at www.biodiversityireland.ie).
- Discovering ERDAS – ERDAS Imagine 2010 – New Features, and ERDAS APOLLO – Tools for easy data sharing. Phil Cooper, Symetri Geo (Compass partner). Click for PowerPoint.
- OSi Data – New data from OSi – a look at the PRIME2 Database. OSi. Click for PowerPoint.
Geospatial Web Services
- A Geo Web Services Primer – What are web services, and OGC standards? Ali Robinson, Compass Informatics. Click for PowerPoint.
- An overview of some of the Open Source & Proprietary software options available for GeoWeb Services. Manuel Treiber, Compass Informatics. Click for PowerPoint.
- An Introuction to ArcGIS.com. Eamonn Doyle, Esri Ireland. Click for PowerPoint.
- Compass Informatics
- National Biodiversity Data Centre – operated by Compass Informatics on behalf of the Heritage Council.
- Ordnance Survey of Ireland (Compass Informatics as Value Added Reseller)
- Ashtech mobile mapping & GPS (Compass Informatics as Authorised Dealer)
- ERDAS (Compass Informatics as Value Added Reseller)
- Esri Ireland (Compass Informatics are Esri partners)