GIS – Systems Development and Data Analytics
Compass staff have many years experience in applying Geographic Information Systems (GIS) technology to a wide range of application areas, and in spatial data analysis, especially in the environmental, planning and transport sectors. In providing spatial solutions to clients in both the private and public sectors, Compass employ a range of geotechnologies, including both proprietary and open source software.
- Spatial analysis and modelling, for the environment, energy, planning, tourism and marine applications
- Geodemographics, including population and socio-economic data
- Heritage and tourism planning, analysis and inventory
- Analysis of land and natural resources potential and management
- Routing and network analysis for planning, environmental monitoring and transportation
- Geoweb services implementation
Example Clients & Applications
Heritage Council, Ireland
The Irish Heritage Council needed a GIS based approach to enable comprehensive audit and assessment of the heritage in Irish coastal areas via a Web Map Viewer. Compass provided the Heritage Viewer based on our MapView tools. Goals were to provide a clearer view of the inter-relationships between different aspects of heritage affected by different types of coastal designation and to satisfy overlapping information needs of multiple government departments with a responsibility for the coastal zone.
- An inventory was created of existing digital data on the Irish coastal zone that could be used to address a wide range of policy issues.
- Metadata was compiled to catalogue datasets for the coastal zone at local authority and national scales.
- Then the ability of the Heritage Viewer to meet the previously identified information requirements was tested.
- The Heritage Viewer is now used by more than two-thirds of local authorities in Ireland, for a range of applications.
Download a paper describing the Heritage Viewer and its development here.
Download the Heritage Viewer Fact Sheet.
The Heritage Council’s Beatrice Kelly presented the Heritage Viewer at the Compass12 Conference in Dublin, September 2012. See here presentation – “Heritage Map Viewer: A Heritage Data and Planning Resource for Ireland” - here (links to YouTube).
Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland (SEAI)
Working for the SEAI, Compass created a new public mapping system – the Wind & Geothermal Atlas – an atlas for viewing wind and geothermal energy data in Ireland.
A more complex intranet system for Bioenergy Assessment and Analysis was also created. The systems make extensive use of open source technologies and geospatial web services, reflecting the firm’s hybrid approach to optimal use of open source and proprietary elements, and incorporates modelling aspects unique to the system.
Download an article on the bioenergy system in GEOconnexion International (April 2010).
Pobal manages programmes on behalf of the Irish Government and the EU, acting as an intermediary to support communities and local agencies in achieving social inclusion, reconciliation and equality. Pobal supports partnership approaches to decision-making in order to engage communities in the development process at local level, and promotes co-ordination between communities, state agencies and other stakeholders. Providing information to the community is of key interest. The Web Map Service developed by Compass – Pobal Maps (maps.pobal.ie) – is one of the ways that Pobal helps disseminate information to its stakeholders.
Download the GEOconnexion Magazine (April 2011) article on Pobal.
See the short video of MapView as used byPobal here.
Visit Pobalireland on You Tube …
and see their full playlist of Pobal Maps videos here.
- Tutorial on how to run Pobal Maps and basic navigation (length 2:04)
- Tutorial on how to access Pobal Maps boundaries (length 2:55)
- How to run Pobal Maps reports (length 5:24)
- Tutorial on how to use the search function and print Pobal Maps. (length 2:59)
- Tutorial on how to view census information on Pobal Maps. (length 4:26)
- Tutorial on how to view the location and details of projects funded under Pobal (length 3:21)
Pobal’s John Manning presented Pobal Maps at the Compass12 Conference – view his presentation – Pobal Maps: A gateway for data sharing and working smarter – here (link to YouTube).