INSPIRE Directive Master Classes
The EU INSPIRE Directive 2007/2/EC to establish an ‘Infrastructure for Spatial Information in the European Community’ came into force on 15 May 2007 and sets out requirements for standardisation and publication of geographical datasets, associated dataset descriptions (metadata) and access services, across the European Union.
All EU Member States enacted national legislation in 2010 adopting the Directive. The European Commission has since publised several EC Regulations covering operational aspects for implementation of the Directive. These apply to all Member States, at dates according to the current official INSPIRE ‘Roadmap’, which extends to 2020.
To support clients through the challenging compliance tasks ahead - sorting out what needs to be done, when it needs to be done, and how – Compass provide INSPIRE Master Classes. These customisable training sessions deal with your INSPIRE concerns, and those relating to the associated Re-Use of Public Sector Information Directive.
Outline Agenda for a Standard INSPIRE Class
- Background and context of the INSPIRE & PSI re-use Directives.
- INSPIRE Metadata – what is required, when, and how to reach compliance?
- INSPIRE Network Services – what is required, when and compliance requirements?
- INSPIRE Data Specifications – their implications and deadlines.
- Controlling access and use of data resources.
- Technology solutions for metadata and network services.
- INSPIRE Preparedness.
- GSDI Association’s “SDI Readiness Index Calculator”.
- Your INSPIRE Compliance Action Plan.
Note that this agenda is customised to attendee interests and backgrounds. An Advanced Class is also available that deals with certain aspects in more detail, e.g. data specifications and transformations (see below).
Outline Agenda for Advanced INSPIRE Class (Related Technologies)
- Workflows for metadata and network services compliance.
- Your options for technology solutions.
- Using GeoNetwork and other metadata editors/servers.
- Using GeoServer, MapServer and proprietary solutions for data view and download services.
- Tools for portal development and developing information webages.
- Review of support services and information resources for class attendees.
INSPIRE Directive Seminar – “Steps To Compliance”
Based on feedback from prior INSPIRE Master Classes, we designed a half-day seminar that explains the main steps required to achieve compliance with the Directive. The seminar is intended to provide an overview of what is required, but does not go into technical details except to describe what technology is needed and available. The Seminar is ideally suited to both management and operational staff who will be required to implement the Directive for their own geospatial data resources and services. A typical agenda includes:
- Brief introduction to INSPIRE
- INSPIRE Roadmap & deadlines
- Compliance workflows
- Planning & Programme Management
- Preparatory tasks
- Metadata tasks
- Network Services tasks
- Compliance Solutions
- Metadata solutions (GeoNetwork)
- Network services solutions (MapServer / GeoServer)
- Added value beyond INSPIRE
- Using the INSPIRE / SDI Readiness Checklist
- Compass INSPIRE Compliance Portfolio & Toolkit – An Overview
Contact us for more information or to arrange attendance or an in-house Master Class at your organisation.