The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) leads and coordinates research, and monitors and reports on the state of biodiversity in South Africa. The Institute provides knowledge and information, gives planning and policy advice and pilots best-practice management models in partnership with stakeholders.
Compass Informatics was appointed by SANBI in mid-2014 and again in following contracts as the party to design and re-develop BGIS (SANBI Biodiversity GIS). BGIS is a portal which serves an important role in sharing biodiversity information and spatial data across multiple stakeholders within South Africa.
BGIS is currently used by 27+ South African organisations to serve biodiversity-related information and datasets to a user base of 1,300+ that is growing weekly. Typical users would be environmental planners, environmental practitioners and researchers.
This reference demonstrates Compass’s experience & expertise in the following ways:
- Management, manipulation and migration of Spatial Data
- Preparing the infrastructure, configure the environment and creation of SANS 1878 templates for the management and harvesting of Spatial Metadata into SASDI
- Development and maintenance of a web based system for third party users
- Understanding of biodiversity subject matter
- Development and maintenance of a system for third party users
- Development, operation and support of a system that enables public/industry users to carry out essential tasks
- Expertise in both standard and GIS development tools
Biodiversity GIS Technology Design & Development
Compass Informatics is responsible for the design and development of the technology platform. Tasks include:
- Programme and project management
- Design and development
- Infrastructure setup and configuration
- System design and development using Microsoft technologies
- Portal and map viewers fully accessible from mobile devices
- Data migration
- Comprehensive search and filtering ability
- Role-based access to, and download of, documents and datasets
- System logging and reporting ability for business analytics and future reporting